Nciafn.org Forum Index
Home | Resources | Meetings | Membership
Education | Contact Us | Join us!
Nciafn.org
North Carolina International Association of Forensic Nurses

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evidence collection times

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethlyn Csontos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Evidence collection times Reply with quote

Hello fellow NCIANF friends. I have been reviewing a lot of information from the IAFN Listserve. It seems that many states are collecting evidencen long after 72 hours. Many use 96 hours as a standard. Some are collecting as long as someone shows up and wants evidence collected. Some of the research sited on the site says that sperm can be collected from the cervix for up to 2 weeks. Just wondering what anyone's thoughts are in this group. I believe that the RVAP folks will only reimburse if evidence is collected within 72 hours. Maybe that is something that could be changed if evidence supports this. Any feedback would be interesting.

Thank you!
Ethlyn Csontos, RN, BSN, FNE
SANE Coordinator Forsyth Medical Center
Emergency Department
Winston Salem, NC 27103
egoodman

Location: Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center Emergency Department

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: RVAP 72 hour kit collection coverage Reply with quote

Hey Ethlyn,

I think you're right about the RVAP covering kits collected for the 72 hour specification, although, I know that we provide a medical-forensic exam that includes a SANE eval, photos, follow up referrals, prophylaxis, and whatever else we can collect (clothing or bedding that they bring) after the 72 hours. I have been submitting the RVAP forms for these cases as well. I'll have to ask our billing department whether or not we've been reimbursed and for which portions of the exam (if any). I would imagine that the NC law is probably reflective of the NC SBI kit criteria. We also carry some Virginia kits and I'm not sure that their criteria isn't a little different.

I hope to see you soon!

Elizabeth
president
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethlyn and Elizabeth -

Even though the statute says 72 hours they are making exceptions. In addition, the kits can be collected up to 5 days out. Elizabeth has done some research (with the SBI and reviewing literature) on this recently and I'm hoping she'll share all her findings with us at our next chapter meeting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nciafn.org Forum Index -> General Access All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: